St Peter's Church, Thundersley, is on
the southern side of Church Road, on top of a hill at the western
edge of the village with Church Road on its western flank. A Norman
church was erected here in 1120. Dedicated as the Church of St
Michael, it burned down on Christmas Day 1215, although parts
of the structure were saved (now known as the 'ancient part' of
the church). A new chancel was built, dedicated to Saint Peter. It
was opened on St Peter's Day, 23 June 1230.
Thundersley's boundaries are somewhat blurred.
Its Tudor administration was divided between the Rochford and
Barstable hundreds, making some locals uncertain just who was in
charge. The building itself is of ragstone rubble with some flint,
Roman brick, puddingstone, and limestone dressings with tiled roofs.
Parts of the chancel may be the original church while the rest is
from the rebuild. The bell turret was added in the 1400s; the
extension was added in 1966.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Graham Jones of the Chapel at Gun Hill, Pitsea.