Living Rock Church, Stoney Stanton, is
located at the north-west corner of Station Road and Nock Verges.
During the Victorian period this area was filled by a railway yard,
with sidings extending across Nock Verges and down onto the southern
side of New Road where a large quarry was still highly active. Even
today that land remains open and undeveloped. Today's evangelical
congregation meets in a former converted factory building in the
St Michael's Church, Stoney Stanton, is
on the eastern side of Nock Verges, with New Road on its southern
flank, separated by a green that used to hold railway sidings for
the quarry on the other side of New Road. The church existed by
1149, but the present building is largely the result of work in the
late 1300s and 1400s. The chancel and south aisle were added in
1842, while both north and south aisles were built or extended in
1888 and 1882 respectively.
Stoney Stanton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stands on the eastern side of Hinckley Road, just sixty-five metres
or so south of the junction with Carey Hill Road. It was built in
1886 on land adjoining his house that was donated by the ancestor of
the photo-taker. It is a very narrow building on a narrow plot of
the size of a terraced cottage, but with a more recent extension on
the back to increase its footprint. Today it serves as Stoney
Stanton Methodist Church.