All Saints Church, Yelvertoft, stands
inside the 'hook' formed by the High Street, Church Drive, and
Church Walk at the eastern end of the village. It is thought that
an Anglo-Saxon building existed on the site but nothing now remains
of it. The present building has a nave and chancel that were
constructed in the twelfth century, using local cobblestone. The
four-stage west tower was added in the thirteenth century, with
the east chancel wall being rebuilt at the same time.
Around 1330 north and south aisles were added to
the nave to create a wide, spacious interior. Unusually, a second
south aisle was added to the first in the fifteenth century, making
the interior almost as broad as it is long. When the second south
aisle was built the south door was moved and inserted in the new
aisle. The church's most intriguing historic feature is in the
chancel, with half the north wall being taken up by an elaborate
1400s tomb in Perpendicular style.
Yelvertoft Reading Room is on the north
side of the High Street, about twenty metres west of the junction
with Crick Bridle Road. The building was originally constructed in
1792 as a charity school building for an already-existent school
that had been established in 1711. It is now used for local events
and groups by the parish council. It also serves as a reading room
which, although usually associated with Methodist work, are
sometimes attached to Anglican chapels too.
Yelvertoft Independent Chapel (Congregational)
stands on the south side of the High Street, about twenty-five
metres east of the Elkington Lane junction. Nonconformism has had
a home in the village since 1662, although the present building is
clearly more recent. Known locally as 'The Chapel', it is shown on
the OS 25-inch map (1892-1914) as 'Independent' but was later
renamed Yelvertoft Congregational Church until a very recent
return to the original name.
Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Catholic
Church, Yelvertoft, is at the south-west corner of the High
Street and Crick Road. This small wooden building was constructed
in the 1950s on land that was donated by a parishioner. Prior to
that services had been held at Stanford Hall since at least the
years of the Second World War. It survived local floods of 1999 to
continue serving its congregation from at least ten nearby villages.
Seating capacity is up to seventy-five.
West Haddon Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
stood at the south-west corner of Guilsborough Road and Old Forge
Drive, set back from the former so that it lay partially behind
surviving buildings there. It was built 'during the course of the
nineteenth century' behind the house of a former farmer and his
descendants. It is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 but is
entirely absent by the 1937-1961. Since demolished, its replacement
is known as 'Wesleyan Cottage'.
Five photos on this page kindly contributed by
Ian Rob / 'Saxon Sky' via the 'History Files: Churches of the British
Isles' Flickr group.