Redeemed Christian Church of God (The
Sanctuary) is at the north-west corner of the junction between
Grove Crescent Road and Oxford Road. The RCCG was established in
Lagos, Nigeria, in 1952. The Sanctuary ministry began with services
at the private residence of its pastor, in April 1994. On 19 June
1994 the concept of a permanent church was started by Pastor Ade
Okonrende of the then Angel Parish in Stratford, and the Tom Allen
Centre was purchased in May 1996.
St Francis of Assisi Catholic Church
is on the southern side of Grove Crescent Road, about fifty
metres west of the junction with The Grove. Catholic services in
West Ham began in 1770. The church of St Vincent De Paul (see links)
was opened on the High Street in 1813, but was replaced by this
building, originally also named to St Vincent De Paul, in
1868 with a school hall below the chapel. It is a red brick building
with stone dressings in a simple Renaissance style.
Stratford Central Baptist Church is at
the north-east corner of the junction between The Grove and Manbey
Grove. Unlike Stratford's Methodists, its Baptist congregation found
this one location, erected its church building upon it, and remained
there ever since. The chapel originated in 1852 with services in
Rokeby House. The present site was purchased in 1854 and
Stratford Grove Church was built. Later called the Grove
Church, it received its present name in 1917.
St Stephen's Mission Church sat on the
north side of Cedars Road, about thirty metres east of the Water
Lane junction and a little farther from central Stratford. An iron
church was erected here about 1883, and was given the dedication of
St Stephen. In 1917, with funds now in place, the 'tin tabernacle'
was replaced by the present brick building. The mission closed down
when the area suffered heavy bombing in 1943. Today it houses the
Radha Krishna Temple.
Trinity Presbyterian Church (Maryland Point)
stood at the north-east corner of the Forest Lane and Leytonstone
Road junction, the site now occupied by a tower block. The
congregation was founded in 1863 and a hall was built in 1863. The
Gothic brick-and-stone chapel itself came in 1870. Declining numbers
from 1907 meant that in 1941 the congregation moved to East Avenue
Presbyterian Church in East Ham. The old chapel was destroyed by
fire in 1953.
Ark Chapel is on the west side of Francis
Street, less than eighty metres north of Leytonstone Road. It was
founded by Baptists in 1834, in use until 1851. Then Primitive
Methodists took it over until their own Ebenezer Chapel was ready
in 1863 (see below). After that it served as a mission hall,
presumably Anglican, between 1864 and at least 1954. By July 2015 it
was known as Without Borders Church (Evangelical) and now
stands behind a brilliant light blue security fence.
Stratford Newtown Methodist Church is on
the southern side of Windmill Lane, a couple of metres east of the
opposing entrance to Waddington Road. As 'Stratford New Town' it
originated about 1870 when members from Chapel Street (see links)
started services in Chandos Road. Between 1918 and 1939 it borrowed
this location, which originally was St Mark's Church, for
club meetings. The Methodists purchased a now derelict St Mark's
after the war and restored it.
St Paul's Church, Stratford, is at the
south-east corner of the junction between Maryland Road and
Waddington Road. It started about 1850 in a City Missionary Sunday
school, and an iron hall was put up in 1859. That was replaced by a
permanent church in 1864. In 1945 the building was destroyed by a
German V1 rocket. The present building was consecrated in 1953. A
bell was added to the tower in 1954, although that bell of 1642 was
later found to be cracked.
Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel stood
on the north side of Henniker Road (to the right here), with Major
Road on its western flank. It probably originated about 1849, with a
society that moved from room to room before settling at the Ark
Chapel (see above) in 1851, until their own chapel was ready here in
1863. Additional buildings were erected in 1889. By 1940 it had been
taken over by an undenominational Cripples Fellowship. It was
demolished in 1961 or 1962.
Major Road Baptist Church is on the west
side of Major Road, under thirty metres north of the Colegrave Road
junction. As Stratford New Town Church, it started in 1885
when a large building was erected on the northern part of this site,
near the Crownfield Road junction. The present building - the
lecture hall - was added in 1900. In 1907 a mission of Cann Hall
Baptist Church joined the group and the present named was applied.
The old chapel was bombed in 1941.