History Files History Files
 
Donate add-in
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of South-East London

by Peter Kessler, 22 July 2019

Lewisham & Greenwich Part 1: Churches of Beckenham & Plumstead

The Annunciation and St Augustine Catholic Church, Beckenham Hill

The Annunciation and St Augustine Catholic Church is on the northern side of Beckenham Hill Road, between the railway station and playing fields. The first church here was a wooden building, erected in 1934 next to the current church school on a site which also served as a Dominican convent until relatively recently (2019). The present centrally-planned brown-brick building was consecrated on Wednesday 26 August 1964, built to a design by Raglan Squire & Partners.

The Slade Evangelical Church, Plumstead

The Slade Evangelical Church occupies the south-east corner of The Slade and Ravine Grove in Plumstead. It was opened as The People's Hall in 1880, and in 1902 a gallery and new front were added to the previously somewhat functional building. The hall closed or was transferred to the current Evangelical church seemingly around 1985, but the claim of continuity from 1880 on the church's official website suggests that the only change was in the name.

Woolwich Cemetery Chapel, Plumstead

Woolwich Cemetery Chapel sits in the cemetery grounds close to the southern side of King's Highway, with the cemetery bordered to the west by Kingsdale Road and to the south by Camdale Road. The land was formerly part of Plumstead Common, with the 'Old Cemetery' being opened in 1856. It was soon full, so a new cemetery was opened on its eastern flank in 1885 along with the current chapel. Workers killed in explosions at the Royal Arsenal are buried here.

One photo on this page kindly contributed by Jack Cornish.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.