All Saints Church, Fulham, stands on
the western side of Putney Bridge Approach and Fulham High Street,
opposite the Gonville Street junction. It lay within the manor of
Fulham, owned by the bishops of London from their former home at
Fulham Palace whose grounds are still adjacent to the churchyard.
The original parish boundaries encompassed both Fulham and
Hammersmith which was only made a separate parish in 1834. A church
stood here by the 1200s.
The first written reference to the present
dedication dates to 1445 when the Kentish ragstone tower was being
built. That tower is now the only surviving part of that building.
By the end of the 1800s the medieval church, though much altered and
with galleries on three sides, was both not big enough and liable to
regular flooding from the Thames. In 1880 it was decided to demolish
it and build today's Gothic Perpendicular church, designed by
architect Sir Arthur Blomfield.
One photo on this page from the History Files
Collection, and one kindly contributed by Sam Weller, via the
'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.