The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2020: £0£250
Gallery: Churches of Cheshire
by Peter Kessler, 1 November 2020
Cheshire West & Chester Part 1:
Churches of Chester to Frodsham
Chester Cathedral in the centre of Chester
was founded as a Benedictine abbey in 1092. The original church was
built in the Romanesque or Norman style, parts of which survive
today. It was rebuilt from 1250 in the Gothic style, taking 275
years and resulting in the incredible structure seen today. The site
has the most complete set of monastic buildings in the country, along
with a Georgian square and streets, and the remains of Roman barracks
on the Dean's field.
The Church of St James the Great, Ince, is
on the eastern side of Pool Lane, about seventy metres south-west of
the Kinsey's Lane turning. A Norman chapel once stood on this site,
while the earliest parts of the present building were erected in the
1300s. Only the tower and part of the Decorated-style chancel remain
from this period, with the Perpendicular tower, by Simon Ripley,
dating to about 1485-1493. The nave, aisle, and porch were all
rebuilt in 1854.
Bourne Primitive Methodist Chapel,
Frodsham, is on the southern side of Main Street, about eighty
metres west of the Millbank Court turning. Primitive Methodists
moved here from their first local chapel at Frodsham Bridge in
1876-1877. Following the Methodist union of 1932 it became Bourne
Methodist Church. With post-war numbers falling, it closed in
1987 and was later converted into a set of private apartments.
Worship continued at Trinity (see links).
St Dunstan's Church, Frodsham, was built
in 1874 as a mission church using a Victorian 'flat-pack' tin
tabernacle. It is located at the north-west corner of the junction
between Main Street and Chapelfields, and is shown on the combined
OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 in that form. Post-war its use by the
church came to an end but, with a move of three metres in 1995
(presumably to allow more pedestrian space), it found a second life
as Main Street Community Church.
Frodsham's Wesleyan Association Tabernacle
Chapel stands on the north side of the High Street, flanked
west and east by Alexandra Mews and Plumpstons Lane. It was built
in 1837 to accommodate 350 worshippers. In 1857 a merger with the
Wesleyan Reformers changed it to Frodsham United Methodist Free
Chapel. Another union in 1907 removed 'Free', but the 1932
Methodist union signalled its closure (in 1937), and a new role
as a county library and now flats.
St Luke's Roman Catholic Church, Frodsham,
At the north-west corner of the junction between the High Street and
Rock Court. An earlier Roman Catholic chapel in the town existed on
Ship Street (virtually behind the present site), having been opened
in 1949. This was replaced by the present building in 1981, and was
sold to become the Royal Mail depot it remains today, at the
south-west corner of the junction with St Luke's Way.
Five photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law, and one from the Clive Dowd collection, all via the
'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.
Additional information by Douglas Law.