The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2020: £0£250
Gallery: Churches of Cheshire
by Peter Kessler, 1 November 2020
Cheshire West & Chester Part 2:
Churches of Frodsham to Malpas
Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Frodsham,
is on the southern side of the High Street, just seventy metres or
so east of St Luke's Catholic Church (see links). Methodists here
started with prayer meetings in 1774. A barn meeting was replaced by
a dedicated building in Chapel Lane (now Fluin Lane). In 1873 Trinity
Chapel replaced that. Built in the Gothic style and with a spire 37.5
metres tall, only that now survives, the rest having to be rebuilt in
The Church of St Peter, Aston-by-Sutton,
is on the south side of Aston Lane, at the corner of the lane to
Stable Yard Cottage. The first chapel here was built in the early
sixteenth century, no later than 1542. All that remains of that is
a stone in the churchyard which has been used for sharpening spears
and knives. The chapel was damaged in the English Civil War and was
refurnished and restored in 1637 by Sir Thomas Aston, and then had a
new chancel added in 1697.
All Saints Church, Harthill, is at the
north-west corner of the junction between Harthill Lane and The
Green. A church existed on this site in 1280, but the present
building was erected in 1609. The bell turret was added in 1862. It
is mainly of ashlar red and buff sandstone, with a Welsh slate roof,
a five-bay nave and chancel, south porch and vestry, and its own
blocked priest's door. It closed fairly recently and in 2010 was
converted into a community facility for the village.
Malpas Cemetery Chapels, Malpas, stand on
the north flank of the cemetery, on the western side of the junction
between Chester Road and Oathills, north-east of the town itself.
The cemetery was opened in 1873, covering a site of one hectare. The
conjoined red-brick chapel block with central clock tower and bell
tower consists of two separate chapels, east and west. They are
included on the OS 25-inch map of 1897, but no OS maps care to point
out which is for Anglicans.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law, via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'
Flickr group. Additional information by Douglas Law.