History Files History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Greater Manchester

by Peter Kessler, 28 August 2020

Rochdale Part 1: Churches of Wardle & Healey

Ramsden Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel / Wardle Village Church, Wardle, Rochdale, Greater Manchester

Ramsden Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel sits at the north-west corner of the junction between Wardle's Ramsden Road and Chapel Street, behind the town square and bus stop. Its foundation stone was laid in 1873 and the building opened for use in 1874. Upon the acquisition of land for Watergrove reservoir, the amalgamation of Watergrove Chapel occurred in 1933, when the chapel became Wardle Methodist Church. Today it is titled Wardle Village Church.

Church of St James, Wardle, Rochdale, Greater Manchester

The former Church of St James, Wardle, stands on the southern side of Ramsden Road, just sixty metres or so south-east of the Chapel Street turning. It opened in this previously isolated village in 1858, consecrated by the lord bishop of Manchester. Known locally as 'the white church on the hill', it was forced to close in 1993. Its parishioners moved to the Methodist building (see above) to worship there under an agreement which formed Wardle Village Church.

Christ Church, Healey, Rochdale, Greater Manchester

Christ Church, Healey, is at the southern end of Gandy Lane, overlooking Healey Avenue. Healey was formed into a new parish along with several other districts in 1846. The church building's foundation stone was laid on Thursday 12 July 1849 by Jacob Tweedale of Healey Hall. The building was consecrated on 16 October 1850, by the Right Reverend Prince Lee, lord bishop of Manchester, assisted by the first vicar to serve here, Reverend Robert Minnitt.

All photos on this page kindly contributed by Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.