St Leonard's Church, Bursledon, stands at
the south-eastern end of the Church Lane loop, on the southern side
of Hill Place. Permission was given to the monks of Hamble Priory
(see links) to build a chapel here at a date between 1129 and 1171.
Before then the walk for parishioners to the mother church had been
a long and arduous one. Their new church was a small and simple
stone building of nave and chancel. The chancel arch is Early
English in style, dated to 1190-1300.
In the 1830s two transepts were added, producing
a cross-shaped church in plan. These proved unsatisfactory so in
1888-89 the church was extensively remodelled by architect John
Sedding. The blocked doorways in the nave, presumably once the main
access points for monks and congregation before the Victorian
extension, date to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The
chancel's small lancet window dates to the 1200s, with Victorian
The Royal Victoria Hospital Chapel, Netley,
stands on the northern side of The Stables in Royal Victoria Country
Park, looking out over Southampton Water. Netley Hospital was built
in 1856 at the suggestion of Queen Victoria but its design caused
some controversy, chiefly from Florence Nightingale. The main
building - the world's longest when it was completed - was entirely
demolished in 1966, apart from the chapel and former YMCA building
which both survive.
Two photos on this page originally published
on Lynne's 'Echoes of the Past' blog and reproduced here with
permission, and one kindly contributed by Karen White via the
'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.