The Church of St Mary, Copythorne, stands
on the southern side of Romsey Road, roughly midway between the
Pollards Moor Road and Pound Lane junctions. This red brick
structure was built in 1834. Alterations were made around 1891-1892.
It consists of a nave of three bays with very narrow aisles, a west
tower incorporating the entrance lobby and west door, with a taller
chancel added along with the alterations. The octagonal font is in
the style of the 1400s.
Christ Church, Emery Down, near Lyndhurst,
is on the southern side of the main road through the village. Its
origins lie in the fact that, in the mid-nineteenth century, Admiral
Frederick Moore Boultbee (1798-1876) visited Emery Down and bought a
house here. Construction of the church, along with that of a school
and almshouses (Boultbee Cottages), was due entirely to the
admiral's generosity and foresight. His house became the vicarage
after the death of his niece.
Work on the church was completed in early 1864,
with consecration later that year. The architect was William
Butterfield FSA (1814-1900), the first Victorian architect to
experiment with constructional colour and a pioneer of the High
Victorian phase of the Gothic Revival. Christ Church is built of
red New Forest brick, with blue diapers detailed in a polychromatic
design, and Bath stone. The choir stalls contain unique kneeling
boards, to Butterfield's specification.
Our Lady of the Assumption & St Edward
the Confessor Catholic Church, Lyndhurst, is at the south-east
corner of Empress Road as it turns northwards. It is a fine example
of the Early English style of architecture. It was built between
1895-1896, in stone with Bath Stone copings and mouldings. The work
was carried out at the behest of Edouard Souberbielle, a French
doctor who funded the costs in memory of his wife, Marie Louise,
who died while on holiday here.
Lyndhurst Cemetery Chapel lies within the
grounds between the Southampton Road and Beaulieu Road to the east
of Lyndhurst. Also referred to as Bolton's Bench Cemetery
and Whitemoor Cemetery, in 1883, with the churchyard at St
Michael's becoming full, the Lyndhurst Burial Board made an
application to the Commissioner of Woods and Forests for a plot of
land here. Built in 1884-1885 on a former gravel pit, the chapel is
in the older, northern section of the cemetery.
Christ Church, Colbury, is on the eastern
side of Deerleep Lane, about three hundred metres south of the
Hunters Hill junction. It was built in 1870, either by Frederick
Ibbotson (the church's own website) or Benjamin Ferrey (Historic
England), and was consecrated on 8 March of that year. The walls are
of flint with stone dressings for this aisleless nave of four bays
with a chancel of three bays. It underwent renovation work in 1993
and the Lady Chapel was opened.
Photos on this page kindly contributed by Karen
White and Douglas Law, all via the 'History Files: Churches of the
British Isles' Flickr group.