Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of Hampshire
by Peter Kessler, 16 October 2019
Winchester Part 1: Churches of Winchester, Woodmancott & Hinton Ampner
St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate Church,
Winchester, sits over the old Roman gate between St Swithun Street
and College Street. The gate was rebuilt in 1148, and the church was
probably opened at the same time. It was burnt by locals in a
dispute with the priory in 1264, but was rebuilt and remains in use,
possibly unique as a place of worship over an ancient city gate. The
gateway was rebuilt in the 1300s; the church in part in the 1500s.
The entrance dates to the 1700s.
St James Church, Woodmancott, lies at the
north-eastern corner of a junction between minor lanes, and is
flanked to the east by Manor Farm. A medieval church existed on this
site before the present building, but that burned down on Easter Day
in 1854. The replacement was erected in 1855. It has an aisleless
chancel and nave, with a south porch and a vestry to the north of
the chancel. The west gable of the red tile roof contains a small
The Parish Church of All Saints Hinton Ampner
sits on the western flank of Hinton Ampner National Trust House and
is highly visible from the gardens. Its origins are Saxon, and
traces survive despite the building undergoing a rebuild in the
1200s. Further rebuilding took place in the 1800s. Used as the place
of worship for the estate and its staff, it remains open today. The
English Civil War saw Royalists set up headquarters behind the
church, prior to defeat in battle.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Sam Weller, via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'