Minster Cemetery Chapel stands at the
south-eastern end of the cemetery grounds, facing onto the western
side of Tothill Street in Minster-in-Thanet. The cemetery did not
exist at the time at which the 1892-1914 25-inch OS map was
published, while on the 1937-1961 1:25,000 map it was only half its
present (2019) size, having since been virtually doubled towards the
north. The double-doored entrance to the chapel allows for the easy
ingress of coffins.
Isle of Thanet Union Workhouse Chapel was
located within the workhouse grounds, much of which is now occupied
by the houses of Hill House Drive (the entrance of which is shown
here) at the eastern junction with Tothill Street. More specifically
the chapel was sited where the back gardens meet for the houses on
the southern side of Hill House Drive and the northern side of
Burgess Close. The workhouse became the PA Institute, and then a
hospital prior to demolition.
Minster-in-Thanet Salvation Army Church
occupies a deep but narrow slot on the eastern side of Tothill
Street, about ninety metres north of the junction with the High
Street. The Salvation Army has been active in the village since
1886, although seemingly without a single permanent building. In
May 2005 construction started on this brand new £1.1 million,
150-seat, fully air-conditioned church building. Completion was
scheduled for mid-January 2006.
Minster Independent Chapel stood on the
eastern side of Tothill Street, just twenty metres north of the
junction with the High Street. The chapel is shown on the OS
25-inch map of 1892-1914 as 'undefined' - independent in other
words. Apparently it was no longer in use by the time the 1937-1961
1:25,000 OS map was issued. The building now plays host to a
Salvation Army Community Shop, which probably works in support
of the Salvation Army church (above).
Minster Primitive Methodist Chapel stands
close to the High Street road, on its eastern side, less than twenty
metres north of the Singleton Close junction. It was built in 1870
and is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 as Primitive
Methodist. Apparently it was no longer in use by the time of the
1:25,000 OS map of 1937-1961, following the Methodist union. More
recently the building housed a Co-operative store, and in 2009 it
was converted into four apartments.
Minster Wesleyan Methodist Chapel occupies
a comfortable plot on the eastern side of the High Street, around
forty metres north of the Church Street junction. The chapel was
built in 1850, as shown above the entrance. Visible on the OS
25-inch map of 1892-1914 as Wesleyan Methodist, it was still in use
by the time of the 1:10,560 OS map of 1949-1961. It was probably
rapidly declining post-war attendances that forced its closure.
Today it is a private residence.
All photos on this page by P L Kessler.
Additional information from Minster Matters, Issue No
170, June 2015.