The History Files is able to keep on doing what it does
thanks to some wonderful people who have helped to cover increasing web hosting
costs. This year, as the History Files is a non-profit site, it still needs your
help. Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal
so that we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully
secure site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running
costs in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2020: £0£250
Gallery: Churches of Surrey
by Peter Kessler, 1 July 2020
Waverley Part 1: Churches of Dunsford, Hascombe & Farnham
St Mary & All Saints Church, Dunsford,
is at the south-western outside edge of Church Road, well to the
west of Dunsford itself. The entire church building is dated to
between 1270 and 1290, making it somewhat remarkable for being
practically all in one style. The rather small and stumpy
timber-framed tower and spire were added in the fifteenth century,
a little after the end of the great phase of tower-building in stone.
Inside, the pews date to between 1409 and 1441.
The walls are constructed of Bargate stone
rubble, which can be a bright yellow in places, with dressings of
the same stone. Despite the generally ancient and original nature of
the building's structure, work on the mortar joints on the walls may
date from a more recent restoration. Its cruciform plan follows a
favourite local type, one used by several regional church buildings.
Sited above a tributary of the River Arun with a Holy Well close by,
the well's water is used for baptisms.
St Peter's Church, Hascombe, is on the
western side of Church Road, a touch over a hundred metres north
of the Godalming Road junction. A medieval church of about AD 1200
stood on this site until 1863-1864. It was a similarly small
structure to the present building, but was plastered externally.
The new building was designed and built by Henry Woodyer (a pupil
of Butterfield). The interior is claimed to have an unusually
complete mid-Victorian scheme of decoration.
Also inside, the rood screen dates from the
1400s, but was heavily restored during the rebuild. The
mock-thirteenth century-style building is of Bargate stone with
Bath stone dressings. It is small, but well finished and detailed.
It consists of a nave, small western tower with shingled spire,
chancel with polygonal apse, south chapel, and south porch (both
visible here). Sir John Betjeman, in his Guide to English
Parish Churches, called it 'a Tractarian work of art'.
St Andrew's Church, Farnham, is on the
western side of Church Lane, with the River Wey on its south flank.
It dates originally to the 1100s, replacing a Saxon church on the
same site. In November 1128, a small company of Cistercian monks
arrived on the outskirts of Farnham to take possession of
twenty-four hectares of land donated by the lord of the manor,
William Giffard, bishop of Winchester. This was the beginning of
Waverley Abbey and also the present church.
Its chancel was originally vaulted (the west
vaulting shafts remaining), but this ceiling had been replaced by
the end of the fourteenth century when the chancel was also
extended, forming what is now the sanctuary (St James' Chapel). It
is suggested that the chapels to north and south of the chancel were
added only shortly after the church's construction. The nave was
rebuilt in the 1400s and the north aisle added. The solid pinnacled
west tower was added in the 1500s.
Four photos on this page kindly contributed
by Roy Reed and two by Graham Dash, all via the 'History Files:
Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.