St Botolph's Church, Hardham, is on the
southern side of the old lane, facing out over the A29 London Road
right behind that, and about a hundred metres west of Hardham Church
Farm lane. It is believed to have been built on the eve of the
Norman takeover of England in 1066. A suggestion has been made that
some of the stones that were used for the building work were
recycled from the nearby Roman camp - not unusual, and repeated with
abbeys after the Reformation.
The building is a simple one, consisting of just
nave and chancel. The exterior walls are whitewashed, something that
was very common for medieval churches. Some of the early lancet
windows have survived, although in some places larger widows were
introduced in the sixteenth century to allow more light to enter
the church. To the south of the chancel there used to be a small
anchorite's cell. One occupant of this cell appears to have been
Prior Richard in 1285.
The Church of St Michael, Amberley, stands
on the south side of Church Street, immediately east of Amberley
Castle. Formerly (and perhaps still) more formally known as the
Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels, the nave and western
chancel are mid-1100s, while the south aisle and eastern chancel
were added about 1230. Few additions have been made, although a
south doorway dates to about 1300. A plain window was inserted
into the north side about 1600.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Roy Reed via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'