The site of the lost Tregellas Old Chapel
is in the hamlet of the same name, midway between Grampound and
Grampound Road. It is one of Cornwall's 'lost chapels' of Probus.
A wayside cross was found at Chapel Field, Tregellas, 5.5 km
north-east of Holy Trinity Church, Tresillian Bridge. Possibly a
route marker for the chapel, in 1863 it was moved to the Tresillian
mission church. In 1904 this was replaced by Holy Trinity, and the
cross was re-erected to the west of the church.
St Crida, Creed, lies on the western
side of Creed Lane, a short way to the immediate south of
Grampound. The church was founded by the Normans but in its existing
form it is more or less a fifteenth century construct. The tower
which already existed in 1447 was rebuilt in 1734. St Crida is said
to have been the daughter of King Mark of Cornubia. According to
legend she founded a community of Celtic Christian nuns on the
site. Between 1869-1906 the church was unused.
On the return north to Grampound, Grampound
Bible Christian Chapel is on the left-hand side, directly
opposite Old Tannery Lane. The chapel was built in 1881 to replace
a former thatched chapel on the same site. Documents of registration
exist from 1898. The chapel became Grampound East United Methodist
Church (1907-1932), and then Grampound East Methodist Church. It
closed and then was sold in 1982. It was converted into a private
dwelling around 1990.
The former Grampound Congregational Chapel
lies tucked back from Fore Street in Grampound, about sixty metres
west of Creed Lane and almost opposite the Wesleyan chapel (below),
the chapel building has either been demolished or is impossible to
distinguish as a chapel, and access is now restricted. Local history
has it being built in 1784 by the disciples of Samuel Walker. It may
also be the Independent and Baptist Chapel of the the 1820s
which closed in the 1940s.
Another twenty metres or so west along Fore
Street from the Congregational chapel (above), was Grampound
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, sitting down a narrow passage to
the south of Fore Street. Built in 1825 it became Grampound
West Methodist Chapel in 1932. The Sunday School was built
in 1875-1885. The chapel was sold in 1970 and, after several failed
planning applications, was demolished. The present private dwelling
is the former school.
St Nun's Chapel sits at the north-east
corner between Fore Street and Pepo Lane in Grampound. It replaced
the old chapel at Trevillick in 1370 as a chapel-of-ease to St Crida
(above). The name of St Naunter was gradually corrupted to St Nun.
By 1821 the chapel was in ruins, the site was cleared, and for almost
seventy years it was used as a pound for sheep and cattle on market
days. In 1869 the church of St Nun was rebuilt and remains in use