Bugle Methodist Sunday School adjoins the
Methodist chapel which sits to its immediate left at the edge of
this photo (see links). Maps of 1881 show the chapel in its original
format as a Bible Christian chapel, with the Sunday School appearing
next door on the 1907 map. The chapel itself was built in 1854 with
the Sunday school being built in 1896 according to the Historic
Cornwall report (although there is date variation). The hall is
still actively used by the community.
Bugle Primitive Methodist Chapel (Molinnis)
was on the west side of Molinnis Road, flanked to the south by the
level crossing shown here. The OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 confirms
this. By 1908 it had been rebadged as Methodist and was still on
this site in 1938 (although it probably ceased in 1932 when the Fore
Street chapel was taken). By 1963 maps had ceased labelling it.
Council planning states it was opened by 1840. Church records cover
the period 1908-1920.
Roughly three hundred metres to the north of
Bugle on the A391, and on the right-hand side (opposite The
Bungalow), is Lockengate Mission Church, set back along a
short driveway. Various reports mention this mission, naming it as
The Church of the Ascension at 'Locking-gate', a
chapel-of-ease. It was built in 1889 at a cost of £600 - raised by
public subscription. The building consists of nave and transept, but
it closed in 1972 and is now a private dwelling.
Bodwen Ebenezer Chapel (Bible Christian)
now sits on the western side of the lane to Menadue, opposite the
'Tulip' home of the Gammon Company (Danish Crown), and immediately
east of Bodwen itself which is a short way south-east of Lockengate.
It was built in 1859, later becoming Ebenezer United Methodist
Church and then Ebenezer Methodist Church, with records lasting
until 1979. Since then it has served for a time as a grain store
and is now Grade 2 listed.
'The Retreat' Chapel, Higher Menadue, lies
amongst the buildings of Higher Menadew [sic] Farm, on the western
side of the lane that leads south from Ebenezer Chapel (see above).
The 'Retreat' is based in the old farmhouse itself. It is a 'setting
for anyone who seeks a little quiet time...'. Established and
maintained by a resident Catholic priest, the house has a separate,
tiny chapel, with a daily mass. It may have ceased operations fairly
recently by 2020.
Rescorla Primitive Methodist Chapel lies
on the southern side of the main road, at the centre of this hamlet
which is on the same southbound road that leads past Higher Medadue,
and goes through Lavrean and Bowling Green. It dates from around
1873 but was closed in April 2001 after it had fallen into disuse.
The Friends of Rescorla subsequently purchased the building and
began refurbishing it. In 2012 the building was re-roofed and is
now the 'Rescorla Centre'.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis. Additional
information from Stone Crosses in Mid-Cornwall, A G Langdon
(Second Ed, Federation of Old Cornwall Societies, 2002), and from
Kelly's Directory of Cornwall (1902).