The Church of St Mary, Thornbury, is on
the north side of Castle Street, looking down the Church Road
junction and the southern leg of Castle Street. A Norman church here
is first mentioned in 1106, but only the north and south doors and
font remain. The present chancel belongs to the Decorated period and
was built around 1340, with a south aisle being added some decades
later. Apart from the chancel the church was rebuilt in the
Perpendicular style around 1500-1540.
Ebenezer Methodist Chapel was inside the
'v'-shape formed by the junction between Chapel Road and the High
Street in the centre of Hanham (on the left here). It was built in
1888 by a Free Methodist congregation (formed in 1850) on a plot of
ground that had formerly been used for the 'pounding' of straying
cattle in the area, giving it the nickname of the Pound Chapel.
It was demolished in 1962 and its footprint was used to extend the
road junction here (see below).
Dominating the right-hand side of the photo is
Hanham Free Methodist Church, built in 1851 to replace the Pound
Chapel (see above) which became the school room. At the Bible
Christian union of 1907 it became United Methodist, and then Hanham
Methodist Church after 1932. In 1901 it lost its decorated
frontage (see the 'before' shot above for comparison), and the
gardens were cut back for road widening. The High Street Methodists
moved here in 1965, closing their chapel.
Photos on this page kindly contributed by Sam
Weller and Aztec West, all via the 'History Files: Churches of the
British Isles' Flickr group.