St Mary the Virgin, Hugh Town, stands on
the eastern side of Church Road on St Mary's Island, overlooking
Church Street at the junction. The lease of Scilly which was taken
up in 1834 by Augustus Smith, new 'Lord Proprietor of the Islands',
required the building of a new church. The original island church
near Old Town had become ruinous. This was achieved between 1836 and
1838, heralding the beginning of the town's 'Cornish Architecture'
phase of building.
The new church was located in a prominent
position, facing the settlement along the existing road from Old
Town but then well outside its built-up area. It was built in
coursed granite ashlar with a stone-coped gabled slate roof, and
consists of a single-vessel chancel and seven-bay nave with a north
tower in the Early Pointed Gothic Revival style - an unusual style
for the islands for which Augustus Smith was responsible in his dual
role as 'Chaplain of the Isles'.
Church Street (Wesleyan) Methodist Church
is at the north-east corner of Church Street and Well Cross. Around
the time that St Mary's was being built in Hugh Town (above),
Church Street Bible Christian Chapel was built within sight of
it. Augustus Smith added an infant school to it in 1854. It became
Methodist following the union of 1932, subsuming Holy Vale, Old
Town, and Tresco. St Martin's Methodist Church is now the only other
to remain in use on the islands.
The former Hugh Town Baptist Chapel
building stands on the southern side of Lower Strand, four doors to
the east of the Catholic church (see below). Records of baptisms
exist at least for 1821-1837, while the chapel seems to have ceased
before 1900 according to Victorian OS maps, although Bryher
Nonconformist (Baptist) Chapel continued in use through much of the
twentieth century. Since 2011 the building has been occupied by a
hairdresser's called 'Cut Loose'.
Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church
is on the south side of Lower Strand, opposite the western edge of
Holgates Green. The building now housing this chapel was erected in
1860 as the islandís primary school for girls, remaining as such
until 1906. In 1931 the duchy of Cornwall was approached by the
island's Catholic community regarding the use of a building as a
chapel and it was offered the lease of this premises. The building
was purchased outright in 1949.
St Maudut's Old Chapel stood at the foot
of Garrison Hill, location uncertain. One survey identified the
probable site on the south side of 'the Bank' shore area. Two
references to it exist from the 1300s, with a burial ground on its
south side, while one of 1712 which mentions a 'Papist house' could
refer to the same site. The man who was responsible for pulling down
its remnants was interviewed in 1852. Its proximity to the new quay
suggests an established landing place here.