North Curry & Curland Methodist Church
is on the eastern side of Windmill Hill near the centre of the
village of North Curry, immediately south of the junction with
Greenway. The original building dates from 1833 with a later
extension of about 1900 for school rooms that were added to the
frontage. Presumably (in this shot) the older building is farther
from the camera as this backs onto the Methodist burial ground
beyond it (just visible), which is in very good condition.
North Curry Independent Baptist Church is
on the western side of Windmill Hill, on the southern approach to
North Curry. The building also stands on the western side of its own
burial ground. It is marked as Ebenezer Chapel on the OS
25-inch map of 1892-1914, having been built in 1825. It has been
relatively recently repaired and partially refurbished by its also
recently independent Baptist congregation. Its design is a larger
version of Burrowbridge's chapel.
Ham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on the
north side of White Street in Ham, the second building east of a
little lane that crosses the River Tone. Registered in the
easternmost side (closest to the camera) of what is now Ham Cottage,
it was then seemingly one of three adjoining cottages. It closed in
1915. A conversation with the current resident (2019) revealed that
the cottages were owned and had been fully refurbished by the new
owners, its neighbours (to the east).
Charlton played host to two meetings at unknown
locations within this hamlet which lays alongside the Bridgwater &
Taunton Canal (shown here to include the access bridge to Charlton).
In 1669 there was a conventicle, probably at Charlton, with four
teachers and two hundred hearers. Two meeting houses were licensed
in 1689, one probably for Presbyterians and one for
Quakers who had been meeting in the parish by 1674. John Wesley
was an occasional visitor.
North End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
seemingly stood on the eastern side of North End (shown here),
a little way north of Dillons House (formerly farm) at Creech St
Michael. A house in Creech St Michael was registered for Methodist
worship by Joseph Earnshaw on 4 April 1839. The North End chapel
functioned at least between 1842-1855. There was also a North
End Quaker Meeting, precise location unknown, which was
active in the 1700s but was sold in 1804.
Creech St Michael Baptist Church is at the
south-east corner of St Michael Road and Ryesland Way. It originated
in an earlier chapel of 1824, although independents had been meeting
even before that date. Mr James Blatch Cox of Silver Street Baptist
Church led the way. A school was formed in 1816 and Zion Baptist
Church was built in 1824 (now the site of the car park). The
present building replaced it in 1983, allowing the old one to be
All photos on this page by P L Kessler. Former
Taunton Deane area church names and locations kindly confirmed by
South West Heritage Trust.