The Quaker Meeting House is on the south
side of the High Street, opposite the bus stop near the White Hart
Lane junction, and through a brightly-coloured streetside facade.
George Fox toured the south-west in 1663, holding meetings wherever
he went. His return journey brought him through Wellington, giving
rise to a Society of Friends meeting here later in the same century.
Their meeting house was rebuilt in 1729 and 1842-1845, and had its
own burial ground.
The town's Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
sat on the south side of the narrow White Hart Lane. During the
1930s this building was a clubhouse of some kind, itself replacing
a carriage works. It became outdated and inadequate when it came to
accommodating a growing JW congregation. That congregation joined
the one at Taunton Vivary hall on the High Street, while plans in
Wellington were approved in 2018 to turn the former hall into two
Millway Evangelical Church (Brethren) lies
well back from the southern side of North Street, a little over a
hundred metres west of the High Street junction. Brethren members
first built a chapel here between 1839 and 1841, at which time it
was known as Millway Meeting House. Construction of the
present building was completed in 1862, with some modernisation,
accessed via a short arched passage from North Street. Behind the
building is a small burial ground.
Waterloo Road Bible Christian Chapel is
on the eastern side of Waterloo Road, overlooking the Corams Lane
junction. It was founded in 1899, with Scott's Lane Chapel (see
links) being left behind for this much more imposing building. In
1907 the chapel became Wellington United Methodist Church at
the union. Further Methodist Union in 1932 created the present
Wellington Methodist Church. The existing Mantle Street
Methodist chapel remained in use, though, until 1985.
The Parish Church of St John the Baptist
sits at the north-eastern corner of the 'u'-shaped Church Fields,
overlooking Taunton Road on its eastern flank. Some evidence exists
to suggest that a Roman temple of some sort existed in this vicinity
prior to the West Saxon conquest in the eighth century. The
Church of St Mary existed on the present site by the early tenth
century, if not before. The medieval establishment here was richly
endowed and well-established.
The church site (possibly a minster in the later
Saxon period, and possibly overlying that earlier sacred place)
still preserved some late Saxon foundations. A new building was
erected in 1178. By the 1300s, that had largely been rebuilt, but
at least elements of that version survive today. Again though, that
building was heavily rebuilt, embellished, and rededicated at the
Reformation. Fragments of the medieval reredos, defaced, were reused
for paving stones in the chancel.
Five photos on this page by P L Kessler, and one
by On the Market. Former Taunton Deane area church names and locations
kindly confirmed by South West Heritage Trust. Additional information
from Kelly's Somersetshire Directory 1889, from Somerset
extensive urban survey: Wellington, Archaeological assessment,
and Kelly's Somersetshire Directory 1889, and from The
London Gazette, 1848.