The English Presbyterian Church, Menai
Bridge, is on the eastern side of Bridge Street and is clearly
visible from Chapel Street close to its southern flank. Preaching in
English first started in the New Hall in 1867. In 1882-1883 the site
for new premises was secured and this chapel was built in 1888. The
Decorated Gothic building is laid out in a cruciform plan, with a
lower storey housing the vestry, schoolroom, and so on. The tower
and spire incorporates the entrance.
The Church of St Mary & St Nicholas,
Beaumaris, occupies grounds between Church Street (east) and Steeple
Lane (west). It was founded about 1330 to serve the new town here.
It retains an original decorated nave, with four-bay arcades. The
chancel was rebuilt around 1500 in Perpendicular style. The four
stage west tower has a battlemented parapet. The upper section was
remodelled in the early 1800s, and the north vestry and south porch
Capel Seion is at the south-west corner of
Steeple Lane and Chapel Street. The first Capel Seion was built in
1784, the earliest nonconformist foundation here. It was smaller and
orientated differently, but a larger building was clearly needed.
The present Italianate chapel of scribed roughcast painted
yellow-brown was standing by 1889 and remained in service for about
a century. It closed at the end of the 1900s and has since been
converted into a private residence.
St Cybi's Church, Holyhead, is on the west
side of Victoria Road, around seventy metres south of the junction
with Swift Square. A church was traditionally founded here by St
Cybi within the walls of a late Roman fort. The present building
dates mainly from the late 1400s and/or early 1500s. The chancel
incorporates masonry of the previous structure (1200s). Restoration
was carried out in 1877-1879 by Sir Gilbert Scott. The Stanley
chapel dates to 1896-1897.
All photos on this page kindly contributed
by Elliott Brown, via the 'History Files: Churches of the
British Isles' Flickr group. Additional information by Elliot