St George's Church, Woolhope, stands at
the northern head of a long footpath leading off the main street,
running parallel with Martins Close to its west. The structure is
largely Norman, built in the second half of the 1100s (during the
reigns of William of Normandy and son, William Rufus). The tower of
the 1200s commands the valley which is named after Wulviva who, with
her more famous sister Godiva of Mercia, gave the land to the dean
and chapter of Hereford.
The Norman work is seen in the north arcade, a
window in the sanctuary, and a carved head under the tower. The
church underwent restoration work in 1848, but much of the present
fabric, internal woodwork, and fittings date from a more major
restoration in 1883 by Henry Woodyer under the benefaction of the
Booker family of Wessington Court. The south porch was added at the
same time. The organ by William Vincent of Liverpool (1862) is
classed as being particularly fine.
All photos on this page originally published on
Lynne's 'Echoes of the Past' blog and reproduced here with
permission. Additional information from 'Echoes of the Past'.