Clarendon Street Free Baptist Chapel
sat on the western side of Clarendon Street, just above Warwick
Street. It was founded in 1863 by a group who left Warwick Street
Baptists in 1859. It remained in use until 1921, when the congregation
returned to Warwick Street. After 1945 the building was sold and the
proceeds used to build a hall on a site in Satchwell Street, vacated
by the Good Shepherd Mission. The old building became a clothing factory.
The Salvation Army arrived in town in the
1880s. Initially they held meetings in a building called The Circus
or Victoria Pavilion on Victoria Colonnade, but in 1881 they purchased
the Oak Inn on Park Street, demolished it, and built the grandiose citadel
shown here. This building was recently demolished to make way for the Royal
Priors shopping mall. The money raised was used to build the present
facility on the north-eastern corner of Chapel Street and Church Street.
Holly Walk Chapel stands on the southern side
of Holly Walk (Hamilton Terrace), midway between Newbold Street and Wood
Street. In 1813 the Independents began in Clemens Street Chapel, and
then in Spencer Street Chapel in 1836. In 1850, further expansion
saw the Holly Walk chapel erected. This building became St Luke's
Episcopal Chapel in 1895, but the building was no longer required
by the end of the twentieth century. It was closed and now serves as
The former Clarendon Street Mission Room
stands on the north-eastern corner of Earl Street and Queen Street.
It was an off-shoot of the Clarendon Street Free Baptist Chapel, and
was in the centre of one of Leamington’s worst slums. Although only
a few hundred yards from the parent church, there was vast difference
in living standards. The mission building still exists as an oddly
shaped house, apparently situated in the back yard of the Somerville Arms.
St Paul's Church is on the southern side of
Leicester Street, opposite Suffolk Street. The great expansion of
the Victorian town saw the need for new parishes and a church was
built here by means of a subscription in 1873-1874. It was in brick
with stone dressings, in the Geometrical style to a design by J
Cundall (as was St John the Baptist), consisting of a chancel with
aisles, transepts, aisled nave, and a north-western tower with a
lofty octagonal spire.
In 1878 the church was consecrated and gained its
own parish, formed from the western section of St Mary's in Warwick,
which was considered to have grown too large for a single parish.
The building, which seats 1,000, has remained substantially
unchanged over the years so it is possible to see it, more or
less, as the architect intended, although the muddy lane on which it
was built and which terminated just a short way further on has
The Wesleyan Reform Chapel still stands on
the north-western corner of Clarendon Street and Morton Street. It
owed its presence to 'disputes within Wesleyan Methodism in 1849',
and seems to date from around 1852, as before that the address belonged
to a paperhanger and a dressmaker. By 1863 the building seems to have
become a private residence, which would confirm that the Wesleyan Reformers
merged with the United Methodist Free Churches in 1860.
Leamington Episcopal Chapel used to stand
across the very northern end of the Parade. The site was donated in
1825 for the town's first proprietary chapel. The Norman revival
chapel became the private property of the vicar of Leamington, costing
sixpence to enter, with servants half price. In 1856 it was refurbished
and renamed Christchurch but its use was mixed, changing often.
By 1951 the chapel needed extensive repairs and was demolished, with
a park replacing it.
All photos on this page kindly released for
republication by Bath Place.