St Eadburgha's Church, Broadway, lies on
the west side of Snowshill Road, no more than thirty metres south of
the junction with the southernmost access road for Lybrook Farm in
Worcestershire. Eadburgha was a grand-daughter of Alfred the Great
of Wessex, while the first church here was Saxon, probably of the
900s to be able to bear its dedication. The present version was
originally built in the twelfth century on a trail for travellers
coming off the Cotswold escarpment.
When the Cotswold trail was rerouted, the
village's focus shifted and the church was eventually left in its
now-isolated position. Much of it was rebuilt around 1400, using
limestone ashlar and rubble with a stone slate roof. Norman elements
do remain, however - notably the nave arcades which are supported on
beautiful columns. Replaced as a parish church by St Michael & All
Angels in 1840, St Eadburgha became a chapel-of-ease. The building
was restored 1866.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Sam Weller via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'