St George's United Reformed Church stands
on the eastern side of West Walls, about fifty metres north of the
old tithe barn and its Methodist congregation (see below). This
church is the result of an amalgamation between those of Charlotte
Street, Fisher Street (see links), and Warwick Road (below). The
combined congregation used its current name at Warwick Road until
that closed in 2014. While the West Walls building was being
prepared, the tithe barn filled in.
Tithe Barn Methodist Meeting stands on the
eastern side of West Walls, flanked on its south side by Heads Lane
footpath and within the grounds of St Cuthbert (see links) behind
it. When the Central Methodist Church closed in 2006, part of its
congregation secured the use of the old tithe barn to form a new
meeting known as 'Methodists@tithebarn', while seemingly avoiding
the use of 'church' in any publicity materials. It also provided a
temporary home for St George URC.
West Walls Roman Catholic Chapel stood
almost exactly where today's gates can be found for the Marks &
Spencer collection point. Founded in 1799, it was the earliest
post-Reformation Catholic church in the city, built 'behind the Bush
Hotel', which was later demolished for Victoria Viaduct. The chapel
is shown as 'R - Roman Catholic Chapel' on Wood's 1821 map, but it
was soon replaced by St Mary & St Joseph Roman Catholic Chapel
on Chapel Street (in 1824).
The Athenaeum Baptist Meeting once used
the building of that name which stood on the eastern side of Lowther
Street (replaced by Lloyd's Bank building), overlooking the
Devonshire Street junction and separated from Carlisle City Church
to its south by 'The Last Zebra' bar. By 1847, after leaving Abbey
Street, Baptists were renting a large room here with seating for up
to a thousand. The meeting seemingly folded in 1850 but was
refounded in 1880 on Aglionby Street.
Lowther Street Congregational Church was
founded in 1843 on the east side of the street (formerly Drovers
Lane), about twenty metres south of the junction with Devonshire
Street. Built by by John Nichol, it replaced Annetwell Street
church. President Woodrow Wilson visited it on 29 December 1918
his way to Versailles as his grandfather had been a reverend here.
Following the formation of the United Reformed Church it is better
known as Carlisle City Church.
Warwick Road Presbyterian Chapel sits at
the north-east corner of Warwick Road (formerly Henry Street) and
Earl Street. Built in 1862-1863, a challenging Scottish Presbyterian
named William Reid ministered from 1867. Some members soon left to
meet in one of the YMCA rooms, eventually ending up forming Hebron
Evangelical Church. Following Warwick Road's closure the
congregation moved to St George's URC on West Walls, after a short
delay (see above).
St Paul's Lonsdale Street stands at the
south-west corner of Lonsdale Street and Spencer Street. It was
built in 1869-1870 by Habershon and Brock as part of an expansion
of Anglican parishes in the city, using quarry-faced red sandstone
on a chamfered plinth, with stepped buttresses and a string course,
plus graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables. Expansion was
over-optimistic, however. Post-war attendances plummeted and the
church was closed in 1979.
Elim Pentecostal Church, which had been meeting
in a building on West Walls from the year of its founding in 1927,
moved to St Paul's in 1979. Part of the congregation had already
departed following a division in 1939, to found Elim Free Church
(Bible Pattern) at the north-east corner of Edward Street and Grey
Street. Most Bible Pattern meetings have since been reabsorbed by
Elim, while the St Paul's congregation today is known as Elim
Lowther Street Methodist Free Chapel stood
on the eastern side of Lowther Street, about sixty metres north of
Lonsdale Street junction. A foundation stone was laid on 4 April
1836 and the chapel opened in 1837. In time it became United
Methodist but closed in August 1933 (almost certainly due to that
very merger). It reopened in 1957 at Lowther Street Methodist
Chapel (Tabernacle) but later closed for good. It now provides
retail premises (recently for Argos).
The Church of Scotland stands on the
northern side of Chapel Street, precisely midway along its length. A
meeting to establish the church was held on 15 November 1832 and the
completed building opened on 28 December 1834. In 1975 it absorbed
the congregation of Fisher Street United Reformed Church (see links),
and structural changes were made to the building in 1979. In 2004
it formed a union with the congregation of St Andrew's CoS in
All photos on this page by Steve Bulman
of 'The Churches of Britain and Ireland'.