The Catholic Church of the Holy Name of
Jesus, Rusholme stands at the north-east corner of Oxford
Road and Ackers Street, at the heart of the University of Manchester.
It was designed by Joseph A Hansom and built between 1869 and
1871. The tower, designed by Adrian Gilbert Scott, was erected
in 1928 in memory of Fr Bernard Vaughan. Not a parish church,
it is managed by members of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) for
the university community in Manchester.
Platt Unitarian Chapel, Rusholme, is on
the western side of Wilmslow Road, about twenty metres north of
the Old Hall Lane junction. Nonconformists, ejected from the
Presbyterian St James Church at Birch-in-Rusholme in 1697, met in
private houses until this chapel opened in 1700. The teaching here
became Unitarian during the 1700s, and road-widening in 1909 removed
part of the burial ground. The chapel closed in 1970 and now provides
a business premises.
Emmanuel Church, Didsbury, is inside the
v-shape formed by the Wilmslow Road and Barlow Moor Road junction.
It was built in 1858 by Starkey and Cuffley, but was extensively
re-modelled in 1986. A parish centre stands behind it while the
interior was reordered, with café and crèche facilities featuring
a William Morris glass in the south transept window. The main
building, though, suffers from apparently poor build quality,
notably water ingress and slipped tiles.
All photos on this page kindly contributed
by Jo Lewis via the 'History Files: Churches of the British
Isles' Flickr group.